Fort Barraux is the oldest fort
using bastions in France. It was built in 1597 and its aspect
changed very little over the past 400 years as the general
layout invented by the Piedmontese architect Ercole Negro will
be left almost intact by its followers: A fortress with an
extended star shape with a narrow end, including many bastions
and advanced ditches.
The fort was
taken by surprise right after its completion by the Constable
of Dauphiné Lesdiguières. A few enhancements have been
undertaken by the engineers of King Henri the Fourth but
didn't affect the general layout.
himself, Fortress Inspector in Chief of King Louis the
Fourteenth in the late 17th century didn't change the
arrangement of bastions and curtains. He would rather improve
the various buildings inside the fort: two barracks, the well,
the chapel, the large powder magazine and the gate
In the early 19th
century, a casemate was added southward as this section was
considered to be the weakest point.
The Fort in the early 19th
century (scale model)